Welcome Page

Welcome Page
Welcome Readers and Bloggers!!! :-)

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

My Personal Experience of an Addiction


























Video Game Addict

I am going to be honest and reveal my addiction to all of my readers and fellow bloggers. My addiction was to video games. This goes back to my junior high and high school years (27 years ago to be exact). When I used to have regular Nintendo I was addicted to Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt and The Real Ghostbusters and when I had Super Nintendo I was addicted to Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct. When I talk about being addicted I used to have dreams about playing these video games and beating them. I had that look of determination on my face not realizing that these people are not real, lol. None of these video games had me thinking crazy stuff like you see and hear about people who have literally gone insane. Playing video games for me was fun and entertainment. It helped me to never get into big trouble (I got in some trouble but never major trouble). I understand that at some point we all had an addiction. Whether we were addicted to some of the following: Food, smoking, drinking, working, cleaning, gambling, etc., we all have a story or stories of how we overcome our addictions.

Meanwhile, my addiction to video games happened when I was in my early teens till late teen's. I would skip meals and play video games up until the wee hours of the morning sometimes. If I had chores to do or school work to do I would neglect them and be late doing everything because of my addiction to the video games. My addiction to video games came to the point where I had to go to summer school my junior year of high school because I had to make up classes that I failed. However, my addiction was a normal teenager addiction who didn't care whether it affected things or not. People who excessively play video games have a short attention span when people are telling them things. At some point, a person who is glued to their TV set could becoming socially detached because the video game or games that he or she is playing is stimulating and taking the place of interacting with other people. I didn't realize it until my 30's that the video games were my addiction and how serious it was. You have to admit that you have a problem. We don't always listen to our family and friends when they try to tell us things that may not be what we want to hear but it is good sound advice. Had I would have listened, I would have ditched playing video games as much and only played them on school outings. 

Well, I am going to tell my readers and fellow bloggers how I conquered my addiction to video games. I traded my regular Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and the games that came with the 2 systems to a game store. All I have now is a regular Game boy, which I have not played in 18 years, and the games with the Game boy. I'm donating both my Game boy and the games with the Game boy to the Vietnam Military Veteran's of America. I have not been up to date on modern video game systems and games. I have officially stopped playing video games for 15 years now. I want to encourage y'all no matter what your addiction is you can conquer it. You have to want to quit and sometimes listening to your family and friends who try to tell you that your addiction is getting out of hand. "Hearing the truth sometimes can sound harsh but we know that it's what we needed to hear even when we didn't always like what is being said." 

No comments:

Post a Comment